I got no shame. I totally stole this topic from WifeMomKnitter. 🙂 But I thought it was a fun topic, and figure I can give it a stab…
If you could go back in time and have a 5 minute conversation with yourself ten years ago, what would you say?
Dear 21 year old jennsquared:
I know you are young, and are enjoying life at good ole RPI. But really, you will want to hear me out. Who am I? Well, I’m you, just a little more “mature”. Oh heck, I’m the older version of you. Let’s be real here.
- So by now, you probably already figured out all that drinking in freshman year didn’t do you any good. It’s ok. You really slow down after that. It is no big deal. You will recover from that, even though currently, you probably don’t think so.
- Few months down the road, you’ll be in shock when 9-11 happens. It is OK. We will get through the tough time. And you will become United States Citizen during that tough time. And go visit the World Trade Center now if you could, because this old self regrets it all the time that she didn’t get to see them in person.
- Take more art classes when you can. Now I’m not talking about drawing and such, but maybe graphic design type things, something that’s a bit more creative than just plain old engineering classes. It will help with your knitting down the road.
- Knitting? Oh yes, you love it. I know, it sounds like an “OLD” hobby, but really, you love it. And all of your friends love it. And trust me, they aren’t old either. So my advice, you better start it now. Maybe you’ll find the ambition to go to school to be textile engineer.
- When you take up that coop position at Lutron, don’t let youself get too involved in the drama. It really doesn’t do you any good.
- And really, start a blog earlier. You love it. It’s like a journal and you enjoy writing so much more than you can imagine.
- Believe in yourself. Don’t doubt what you can or cannot do. Just do it and trust your instinct. If you think you can do it, then you can.
See, your daughter said so too. Yup. She’s 15 months right about now!
Love, the 31 year old jennsquared